Design and Style: DIY Mineral Makeup


Hi, folks! I made make-up this afternoon, yay! :)

It's been a while since I touched this stuff from my previous biz. I'm meeting my sister in UAE soon and I thought to pack some for her. It's actually pretty easy to make powder foundations, correctors, blushes, bronzers and eyeshadows once you have all the tools and ingredients with you. 

When I was pregnant, I got so anal on the ingredients of the products that I put in my body like bismuth oxychloride from commercial mineral makeup. I made sure I only put the ingredients that I feel comfortable with when I started making these for my personal use. 

My chemical engineer sister & I spent hours perfecting our formulas. We might make it available to those who are really interested for a fee someday (Hmmm... a formula ebook, maybe?). Today, I'll  walk you through the basic tools and steps in making these beauties.

Super Simple Tools:
  • a digital scale
  • plastic/metal scoops
  • tiny plastic cups
  • coffee grinder, or...
  • mortar & pestle

How to Make Mineral Makeup In a Nutshell:
Prepare Your Work Area: This DIY project can get very messy. Use a disposable cover for your work surface and sterilize/disinfect all your tools. Use a mask to protect yourself from inhaling the fine powders.
Make The Base: This is done by measuring and grinding with a coffee grinder or a mortar & pestle, ingredients like titanium dioxide, sericite mica, zinc oxide, magnesium stearate, silica, boron nitride, kaolin clay, and rice powder.
Add Color: Add oxides to the mixture if you wish to have a matte finish. Add mica if you want some sparkle. You can mix different colors of oxides and mica together (This is the fun part!). Grind again.
Test the Shade: Streak the grinded mixture to a paper or to your skin. Add color or base (if it's too dark) if necessary.
Transfer to a Container: You can use a folder paper or ketchup bottles for this step. Works like a charm!

That's about it. I hope you enjoyed this "kikay" post. Stay beautiful everyone!

Mica galore enought to make your head spin!:)

ShareThis

Web Analytics